If you are scheduled for a one-hour glucose test, here are some instructions to help you prepare for the test and ensure accurate results.
The one-hour jelly bean test is a simple and effective way to measure how your body is using glucose (sugar). To take the test, you will need to eat 18 Brach’s jelly beans, which is equivalent to drinking one glucola drink.
There is no need to make an appointment to have the test done. However, it is important to follow these guidelines in the days leading up to the test:
- For three days before the test, eat as you usually do. Do not exclude anything from your diet.
- On the day of the test, you may eat up until the time you eat the jelly beans. Avoid foods high in sugar, such as waffles with syrup, regular soda pop, and desserts.
- After you eat the jelly beans, DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING!
On the day of the test:
- Eat all 18 jelly beans within 2-3 minutes.
- Note the time that you finish eating the jelly beans.
- Bring your lab slip with you to the outpatient lab. You may go to either the lab at the Marion Area Health Center on Delaware Avenue or the Outpatient Lab at Doctor’s Park.
- You may also be scheduled at our office for an appointment on the day of your test, in which case you will have your blood drawn here.
- Be at the lab/our office about 45 minutes after eating the jelly beans to allow time for registration before having your blood drawn.
- Please tell the lab/front desk what time you ate your jelly beans. Your blood needs to be drawn exactly one hour after you finish.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We are here to support you and ensure the best possible care for you and your baby.